so obama did a speech the other day, and one of the things he talked about fixing was high school drop outs. he wants to make it illegal and that if a student drops out that they could go to juvenile detention or that the parents could do jail time. well that is horrible. there is only so much a parent can do, they cant force their teenager to do something that they dont want to do. the parents can yell and demand all they want but it is the teenager who has to put forth the effort.
thoughts?
OMG!! I completely forgot -- I was going to blog about this as well! thanks for remembering.
ReplyDeleteHmm...thoughts. I'm not sure how much good a law like this would do. I mean....i thought school was already required for those under 18. This would make people less likely to drop out though -- people wouldn't want their parents to go to jail because of them.
However, what about those extenuating circumstances? what about home-schoolers? People can have perfectly valid reasons for dropping out; and as for homeschoolers -- under this law one could argue that those who homeschool are disobeying the law, even though they're getting a perfectly good education.
Idk....I agree that everyone should finish high school....maybe, for those who have extenuating circumstances, a homeschool curriculum could be followed...that way they can take care of whatever they need to, and still get a good education....